Users Expect Online Help
Online help adds value to your software products and has many advantages over other types of user assistance tools:
- Just-in-time support is a click away
- Updates are applied electronically without relying on end-user action
- Hyperlinked content provides easy navigation to related topics
- Embed other types of user assistance tools through links
Designed for Your User Audience
I design your online help system to meet the needs of your users and your software.
- An audience analysis defines the characteristics of your users
- A task analysis defines how each user class uses your software
With this information, I design your online help system to meet the needs of beginner, intermediate, and advanced users. The design anticipates user questions, focuses on need-to-know information, and organizes content to support user tasks.
Maximize Your Benefits
I use the most current research on how people use computers and focuses on meeting your user needs.
- Use your existing documentation as the starting point for your online help system
- Avoid repeating content in multiple locations for easy updates and maintenance
- Provide online help system content for other uses (training manuals and marketing materials)
- Design your help system for new user orientation and experienced user reference